Friday, September 25, 2009

Has it been one day or one year?

This morning I woke up to the beautiful sun coming through my double-doors/window in my cozy nook. Sometimes I'm amazed to remember I am in Italy, and some mornings it feels as if I have been here my entire life. But regardless, I always feel like I was meant for this. I have always felt a pull towards Italy- I can remember the first time we were personally introduced- and I can remember feeling like I was home. I am curious to see how I will feel towards this incredible country by the end of my one year stint- will I be satisfied or will I have developed an insatiable appetite for everything Italian?

After I made up my bed and got ready for the day, I made myself an espresso and ate a banana. I took care of some ironing and then set out for a morning jog! The other day I discovered a charming side street and decided to give it a try.

The weather was perfect, probably around 65 degrees. I was only gone for about 30 minutes but it was just enough to get some fresh air and get motivated for the day. As I was running back to the apartment I almost ran smack dab into a nonno (grandfather)- he was picking something off of the ground. I stopped and looked down at what he was examining- and I had to laugh out loud. It was a buckeye! A chestnut like nut that is (or at least my [real] family believes) a symbol of good luck. Dad had found one in Florence while we were there and gave it to me right before he left for home- I kept it and put it in a "finding box." They remind me so much of my grandparents. So of course I had to take a couple. Story has it that once they crack open, the luck will come. I'll be keeping them in the sun to induce cracking :)

Below is a picture of "my family" in Reggio! The mom, Marina, is such a beautiful Italian woman! I already feel like a part of their family- they are so welcoming and treat me in no way like a stranger. Tiziano, the dad, is such a treat! and also an incredible chef- I have so much to learn in that department, it will need a post of its own to explain. Matilde is 12, and will turn 13 in October. It is an interesting age to say the least. She "dislikes" English, especially speaking it, so my main priority at the moment is expanding my Italian vocabulary. Yesterday Marina left for Milan on business and so we were at home alone, I was in the kitchen ironing, and she came in and said "I need to go out for something" in ENGLISH! This is huge. Normally, she would ask in Italian and point to the door, but she spoke to me- I feel like what I imagine a proud parent would feel. And it doesn't end there. After we got back from the errand, she came into my room and asked me what pizza I wanted for dinner (in English). A little later I came to her and asked if she wanted to watch a movie after dinner (HSM 3 OF COURSE!) She said "I don't have that one" but she was so excited, we both were. After a while I was on the couch and she walked upstairs to her room, came back down and handed me HSM 1 and 2 and asked me to pick the one I wanted to see. Her dad suggested to her that we go over some English in her English workbook after dinner, but I told her we could just watch the movie in English and that would he her "homework" for the day (this has been approved by Marina). She was so relieved to say the least. I know it sounds so silly to get so elated about these things but they really are huge strides!

This one is for mom: an Emma dog in Reggio!!! I squealed when I saw him. I tied to pet him but I don't think he liked that very much... But he was there just long enough for me to snap his photo.
More delicacies from Florence:


3 comments:

  1. burney: i saw on facebook that you had started this blog and went to check it out and started CRYING. literally. in my office, tears down my cheeks. your musings on your first week there are so familiar, your initial take on the family so spot-on, and your joy at starting what is bound to be an amazing adventure so palpable. reading about your first few days took me back to May 2001 when i arrived at the same house, the same age as you are now, to meet the same family, with the same excitement and trepidation. i miss them terribly looking at these photos and hearing about their life now; sometimes it feels like just yesterday that i lived in reggio, but today it feels like the almost-decade ago it was. take good care of them and keep up with your writing! xo-emily "i was matilde's nanny when she was FIVE" raine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying laughing that you have bonded with her over HSM. That is so awesome and typical. I love it. I was telling someone just the other day that watching HSM 3 with you was the funniest thing I've ever done b/c you literally were in mesmerized by Zach Efron. I miss you! You and Matilde will be bff in no time Burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Burney-just found out about your blog from your Mom and it is a great way to share the whole experience and I am already super jealous! It sounds and looks amazing-exciting-fun! Love to you and keep the entries coming!

    PS-That puppy is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete