Monday, September 21, 2009

At Home in Reggio




Dad and I arrived in Reggio nell'Emilia Thursday morning around 10 am. Tiziano met us at the airport with open arms and a van to pick us (and all of my bags) up from the Bologna airport. Of course we were checked at customs, but got through okay. The drive from Bologna to Reggio is so beautiful! Lots of rolling hills, farms, and cottages. Once we arrived in Reggio, the first order of business was to pick up Sophie from the groomers. Sophie is the cutest, sweetest, loveliest toy poodle in the world and I love her.
After we dropped of dad at his hotel we moved all of my things into my "room". It is much more like a hallway into the laundry room / my bathroom, but it is all the space I need and I feel extremely comfortable there. The home is beautiful and very open- white walls with splashes of color everywhere. That evening we had a fantastic dinner with the whole family.
Tiziano is a wonderful cook and specializes in fish. We had smoked salmon first, followed by two courses of tartar, and finished with a potato, zucchini, and rosemary soup with mussels. We finished off the meal with a shot of walnut liquor- sweet and yummy. After dinner we were both so tired that I was shown how to make up the bed and I passed right out!

Friday morning I woke up early and organized some things in my room. After a breakfast of Special K (with berries), soy milk, and green tea, Marina showed me my responsibilities around the house. Since Matilde is 12, and will be 13 in October, they consider my title "big sister and house manager." My responsibilities consist of making sure the house is in order and also being there for Matilde. I also get to prepare the meals! It may sounds intimidating, but it is not at all. They do not eat extravagant meals at home- the most basic food imaginable. Salad before dinner and lunch, and then either a protein or a carbohydrate- never both. Today I made salad with carrots, tomatoes, and radishes, and then ravioli with spinach. For dinner we will have salad and then eggs. I am going to have to get Matilde help me learn the ropes! She likes to cook too so that will be something fun we can do together.
After lunch dad and I walked around the town and took care of some errands. I walked with Matilde to the pool at 5 and went back to pick her up at 6:15. I think she goes two times a week. That night we went to a traditional restaurant with the family. It was so delicious (of course).

Saturday morning we woke up and took a train to Florence to see Meredith and Caroline! Meredith is living in Florence, and Caroline is in Rome. It was so great seeing them this weekend! It definitely started me out on the right foot. I was able to eat at my favorite restaurants in Florence that I discovered while studying abroad- Boccadama, Open Bar, and Hemingway- the most fantastic chocolate bar!

Sunday morning we went to the Duomo for mass and it was great! I was so happy that dad could experience that during his short visit to Italy. I am so happy that he was able to move me in to my new home for the next year! It made the transition much more pleasant, and I feel so comfortable here now. I love my little "nook".

That afternoon dad and I took a train to Bologna where we had to go our separate ways. I am going to miss him and mom so much but I am hoping they will be able to come visit in the spring! Thank you to all who have sent me e-mails!! They have been so incredible. It is always nice hearing from friends and family back home. Continue to stay in touch!

2 comments:

  1. I had THE BEST weekend! Love you and can't wait to see you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BURN! Just catching up on all of your blogs. I'm glad yall had a great time together! I hope we can skype soon. I need it once a week at least. I MISS YOU. Oh and I am already trying to plan a trip in the spring. I love you!

    ReplyDelete